These 40+ questions are listed in the frequency by which they are asked:
1. Does Dr. Coker prescribe or refill controlled substances?
A. No. They include the following:
CONTROLLED SLEEP MEDS
2. Are all appointments really cancelled after 10 minutes?
3. Do you do Covid-19 testing?
A. No. We do not do testing or prescribe lab orders for Covid testing.
The nearest location to our office is the Marlins Stadium.
4. I had Covid and I would like to see Dr. Coker, what is is the protocol?
A. Once you have tested negative, email those results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will call you back to schedule a visit, usually 7 to 10 days after your negative test.
5. I qualify to get the Covid vaccine as a "Medically Vulnerable" person, can Dr. Coker provide me with a letter?
A. Yes. However, you must schedule a visit to see Dr. Coker in person for this particular reason. No exceptions.
6. Can Dr. Coker call me back?
A. Dr. Coker does NOT call back the following individuals:
7. I am a current patient can she call me back?
A. Yes. Please understand the following guidelines:
8. Does Dr. Coker's make all final decisions?
A. Dr. Coker makes all final Medical-Decisions. All other matters, including adhering to office policies and discharging patients due to non compliance are made by our Senior Partner Marc Marchello.
9. How do I check in and complete my medical paperwork?
A. Our office is paperless and automated
10. I have been calling your office and I keep getting your voicemail. Why is that?
A. Four reasons:
11. Will my insurance pay for 2 physicals done on the same calendar year?
12. Can I pay out pocket for a second physical?
A. No. We do not take self pay patients.
13. Can I have a physical and a consultation on the same day ?
14. What is the difference between a physical and a consultation?
A. One is a preventative visit, the other is a problem focused visit.
15. My last physical was less than a year ago, can I schedule one with you now?
A. This may seem like a simple question to answer but it is not. Here are the variables:
16. My physical was done more than a year apart and I still got billed for it, why is that?
A. Here is a list of the most common reasons:
17. I got a bill for the follow-up visit to my physical that should have been covered by my insurance.
A. That is not correct:
18. I came in for my FREE yearly physical and it got billed as a consultation. Can you resubmit it?
A. If in the middle of a physical you start discussing any symptoms. It stops being a physical and it turns into a consultation. And no, it cannot be resubmitted as a physical, that would be fraud.
19. I have blood work and labs from a different doctor that I want Dr. Coker to review, can you bill this visit as a physical ?
A. No. A visit to go over labs is a consultation, to bill it as a physical would be fraud,
20. Why are patients required to have voicemail, text, and email?
A. Being able to reach patients is extremely important, especially when it involves time sensitive lab results. Not having all 3 will disqualify you from becoming our patient.
21. Are patients really terminated if their voicemail is full or disconnected 3 separate times?
22. How long has Dr. Coker been in practice ?
A. Since June 2000.
23. Does Dr. Coker speak Spanish?
24. Does anyone in your office speak Spanish?
25. Can Dr. Coker recommend a specialist or a diagnostic center for additional testing?
A. As of 2020 we have opted not to for the following reasons:
26. How can I find a good specialist?
A. We recommend you take the following steps:
27. I made an appointment online and it was cancelled. Why did this happen?
A. There are many reasons why this would happen, we will list some of them here:
28. Can I get my blood drawn at your office?
29. Can I schedule a fasting blood draw in the afternoon?
A. No. They must be done before 11 a.m.
30. How do I get my lab results?
A. Follow these steps:
31. Can I refuse a follow up appointment to discuss abnormal test results?
A. If your results are abnormal we will do our due diligence to contact you. If you refuse a follow-up appointment or if we do not hear back from you within 30 days, you will receive a certified letter terminating our Doctor/Patient relationship.
32. Does your practice do "Executive Physicals"?
A. No. Ask your employer where to go for one.
33. Can I make a first time appointment for someone else?
34. Can I have my assistant/spouse/significant other make an appointment for me?
A. No. If you are an adult who wants someone else to handle your medical care, we are not the practice for you.
35. My child is 19 can I have access to his/her medical records?
A. No. Your child became an adult at 18, all his/her records are private.
36. Can I give my husband/wife/parent/significant other full authority over my medical records?
37. I am an existing patient, can your office prescribe new medications over the phone?
A. No. This policy includes medications for colds, flu like symptoms, UTIs, allergies, etc.
38. Can your office prescribe existing medications over the phone?
A. Yes, within 30 days of your last visit
39. How long can your office refill BCPs or prescriptions for chronic conditions?
A. Up to one year from your last physical. After 365 days you will need to schedule a physical.
40. Can I get to your office taking public transportation?
A. Yes. Metro Bus 12 has a stop at Mercy Hospital.
Please Note: Arrival times are erratic, plan accordingly.
All late appointments are cancelled after 10 minutes - No Exceptions.
41. I have not seen Dr. Coker for a few years. Has your office moved?
A. Since our grand opening on December 12th, 2012 these have been our addresses:
1757 SW 3rd Avenue
1390 Brickell Avenue
2250 S. Dixie Highway
As of 2021 we are at:
Mercy Hospital - 3661 S. Miami Avenue Suite 605
42. I wrote you an email and did not hear back?
A. Our HIPAA compliant email is MiamiFamilyMedicine@gmail.com
It is only used to upload medical documents and it does not provide personal correspondence.
For everything that requires a response, please call our office.
Thank you for taking the time to read our FAQs. If you did not find your answer call 305-392-0449.