These 50 questions are listed in the frequency by which they are asked
1. Does Dr. Coker prescribe or refill controlled substances?
A. No. They include the following:
CONTROLLED SLEEP MEDS
2. Can Dr. Coker call me back?
A. Dr. Coker does not call back the following:
If you are a current patient in good standing and you have seen her in the past 30 days she will be happy to return your call. All other matters are handled by our Senior Partner - Marc Marchello.
3. Why can't I Check-In and do my medical history paperwork at your office?
A. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic our office is now paperless as well as pen-less. Therefore:
4. I have been calling your office and I keep getting your voicemail. Why is that?
A. Many reasons:
5. Do you offer Covid-19 testing?
A. No. Please click on "Covid-19 Information" on our front page for complete details.
6. I got a swab Covid-19 test and I am waiting for the results. Can I make an appointment?
A. No. You must have a negative result first and wait a week after that date, please be sure to email us your negative result.
7. My last physical was less than a year ago, can I schedule one with you now?
A. This may seem like a very simple question to answer but it is not. Here are the variables:
8. I am a new patient . Can I email you my current medical records before my initial visit?
A. No. Have your records ready and email them to us during your first visit. As per our attorneys we cannot have access to your private medical records until after you become an established patient.
9. I've been knocking on your door since 8:45 a.m. is someone in there?
A. Our office hours are 9 to 5, our doors open exactly at 9 a.m.
10. I've been knocking on your door since 1:45 p.m. is someone in there?
A. We are closed for lunch between 1 and 2, our doors reopen exactly at 2 p.m.
11. Can I have a physical and a consultation on the same day ?
A. No. One is a preventative visit, the other is a consultation to address a problem.
12. I am getting billed for a visit that should have been covered, why is that?
A. Insurances will use many excuses not to pay for your visit. Here is a list of the most common reasons:
We do our best to prevent problems; however, it is up to you to make sure of the following:
If all of these are not correct your insurance will deny the claim and bill you for the visit.
13. I got a bill and it should have been paid by my insurance because it was my Free yearly physical.
A. As we just explained a few questions up above:
14. I got a bill for the follow up visit to my physical that should have been covered by my insurance.
A. That is not correct:
15. I came in for my Free yearly physical and it got billed as a consultation. Can you resubmit it?
A. If in the middle of a physical you start discussing any symptoms. It stops being a physical and it turns into a consultation. And no, it cannot be resubmitted as a physical, that would be fraud.
16. I have blood work and labs from a different doctor that I want Dr. Coker to review, can you bill this visit as a physical ?
A. No. A visit to go over labs is a consultation, to bill it as a physical would be fraud,
17. Why are patients required to have voicemail, text, and email?
A. Being able to reach patients is extremely important, especially when it involves time sensitive lab results. Not having all 3 will disqualify you from becoming our patient.
18. Are patients really terminated if their voicemail is full or disconnected 3 separate times?
19. How long has Dr. Coker been in practice ?
A. Since June 2000. She opened her Brickell office on 12-12-12 and moved to Coconut Grove in 2020.
20. Does Dr. Coker's make all final decisions?
A. Dr. Coker makes all final decisions regarding medical and patient care. All other matters, including adhering to office policies, billing, and discharging patients due to non compliance are made by our Senior Partner Marc Marchello.
21. Does Dr. Coker speak Spanish?
22. Does anyone in your office speak Spanish?
23. If I happen to need a specialist, can your office recommend one?
A. We have done so in the past but as of 2020 we have opted not to for the following reasons:
24. How can I find a good specialist?
A. We recommend you take the following steps:
25. I made an appointment online and it was cancelled. Why did this happen?
A. There are many reasons why this would happen, we will list some of them here:
26. I am a new patient. What is your Cancellation and Rescheduling Policy?
A. Two full days minimum.
Cancelling or rescheduling one day before your visit will prevent you from becoming our patient. No Exceptions.
27. I am an existing patient. What is your Cancellation and Reschedule Policy?
A. Two full days minimum.
28. Are all scheduled visits really cancelled after 10 minutes?
29. Where do I go to get my blood drawn?
A. You have 2 options.
Option 1: Go to Quest Diagnostics
No co-payment or deductible apply.
Click below for locations.
Option 2: You can have it done in our office. However, your co-payment and deductible will apply.
30. Can I schedule a fasting blood work up in the afternoon?
A. No. They must be done before 10:30 a.m.
31. How do I get my lab results?
A. Follow these steps:
32. Do I have to pay for my appointment to go over my results?
A. Yes. Your co-payment and deductible apply to all visits other than your yearly physical.
33. Can I refuse a follow up appointment to discuss abnormal test results?
A. If your results are abnormal we will do our due diligence to contact you. If you refuse a follow-up appointment or if we do not hear back from you within 30 days, you will receive a certified letter terminating our Doctor/Patient relationship.
34. Does your practice do "Executive Physicals"?
35. What is the age group of patients Dr. Coker sees?
A. From 18 to 65 years old. For patients who are younger than 18 please look for a Pediatrician.
Patients over 65 should find a Geriatric Physician, Dr. Coker is not Medicare certified.
Please Note: We are not recommending the physicians below, they just happen to be the nearest ones.
Gilma Marimon, MD
3661 S Miami Ave Suite 503
Miami FL, 33133
Nearest Geriatric Physician:
Raul Tano, MD
8299 S Dixie Highway
Miami FL, 33143
36. Can Dr. Coker recommend a center where patients can get their ultrasound, MRI, and other tests done?
A. No. Dr. Coker provides patients with an order form, each patient must then contact their insurance and find a center that their insurance will cover and pay for. Patients who have opted to go somewhere else have been billed hundreds of dollars after the fact. Please check with your insurance.
37. Does Dr. Coker have reviews by patients who actually saw her?
A.Yes, hundreds of them, just go to www.ZocDoc.com and enter her full name Alicia Coker MD.
38. Can I make a first time appointment for someone else?
39. Can I have my assistant/spouse/significant other make an appointment for me?
A. No. If you are an adult who wants someone else to handle your medical care, we are not the practice for you.
40. My child is 19 can I have access to his/her medical records?
A. No. Your child became an adult at 18, all his/her records are private.
41. Can I give my husband/wife/parent/significant other full authority over my medical records?
42. Do you accept Medicare or Medicaid?
43. Do you accept Medicare supplemental plans?
44. I am an existing patient, can your office prescribe new medications over the phone?
A. No. This policy includes medications for colds, flu like symptoms, UTIs, allergies, etc.
45. Can your office prescribe existing medications over the phone?
A. Yes, within 30 days of your last visit
46. How long can your office refill BCPs or prescriptions for chronic conditions?
A. Up to one year. After 365 days you will need to schedule an appointment.
47. Can I get to your office taking public transportation?
A. Yes. The Coconut Grove Metro station will leave you at the intersection of S Dixie Hywy and 27th Street, we are located at 2250 S. Dixie Hywy.
A. Yes. Park between the lines and do not park under the trees.
49. What is your fax Number?
50. What is your email?
A. Our HIPAA compliant email is MiamiFamilyMedicine@gmail.com
It is only used to upload medical documents and it does not provide personal correspondence.
For everything that requires a response, please call our office during business hours.
Thank you for taking the time to read our FAQs. If you did not find your answer call 305-392-0449.